Cloud Isn't Sliced Bread
There's no shortage of positive information about cloud storage. But, few sites will tell you why you shouldn't go the cloud route. The fact is that cloud storage might not be for everyone. There are some good reasons why cloud might not be for you. Take a look.
Why the Cloud May Not Work For You
- No encryption security. Sure, that cloud provider might tell you that your information is safe, but let's break down that claim. The fact is that information stored in the cloud is never really secure. Just take a look at all of the NSA news happening right now. You never know who is going to be accessing your data.
- You may not be able to move data. Are you sure you can move that file to the cloud? Sure, sure? If you aren't sure, don't do it.
- You might not have control. If you are going to go with a cloud provider, make sure that you have absolute control over all your cloud files. Who has that encryption key? You or the provider?
- Things can go wrong. We're talking about the Internet here, folks. Not some kind of mystical cloud where everything goes right and problems are all solved. The cloud goes down, data is lost, and things get messed up.
- Do you know what you're paying for? Can you be certain that the you're really getting the cloud storage you are paying for? It can be hard to tell.
The Black Cloud
Even clouds have black linings, sometimes. As the cloud industry heats up and even governments go cloud, there's bound to be heavy competition. Where there's competition and lots of files, there's also bound to be plenty of people trying to take down those clouds. In short, the number one thing that you have to think about when it comes to the cloud is security. Don't take security lightly, either.
You may not care that people can access your data – you may even have the kind of data that nobody will want to access – but you should care about who is tapping into your cloud. If someone other than you has access to your files, you are taking a risk.
Cloud Isn't Sliced Bread: Questions?
It's perfectly normal to have questions related to the cloud, so please ask us. We'd rather have you ask us a million questions about cloud security and cloud storage than have you face a major problem when you move to the cloud. Sure, the cloud can help you save some cash and it can be a great thing, but the cloud is – honestly – not for everyone.
Got a cloud story? Questions? Comments? Ask!