5 Reasons to Choose WordPress
So, you want to start a blog. That's great! If you have creative ideas and some basic SEO know-how, blogging is a cinch. It's also a great way to let off some steam (you know, by ranting to those that will listen!). You may also be considering a WordPress blog (and why wouldn't you? WordPress is one of the most popular blogging platforms on the planet!). But, did you know that there are two different WordPress possibilities? There's WordPress. org and WordPress. com. What's the difference?
WordPress .com comes with everything you need like a domain name and hosting on WordPress's own servers. All of this is free and simple, but you can forget about domain name customization. WordPress. com domains look like email@example.com .com. That's not a really catchy way of doing things. WordPress .org, on the other hand, is different. WordPress .org means downloading WordPress's free setup software, but buying your own domain name and finding your own cheap web hosting company. Trust me, the latter is better. Here's why.
1. Customize and choose your own theme: you can select any theme that you want and customize it. This is one of the main reasons why website owners choose WordPress .org over WordPress .com.
2. More plugins. There are more plugins available for WordPress .org than for WordPress .com. If you like plugins, you'll want to pay attention to this simple fact.
3. You can choose your own domain name. This is a biggie. If you want candy.com (already taken, by the way!), you can have that name. If you go with the other version of WordPress, you have to use the WordPress domain.
4. Select your own host. Sometimes it's better to choose your own hosting company. Why? You may get a better deal or more options or better customer support.
5. Post what you want. Not sure about an ad? Want to have complete control over what goes on your site? This can only happen with WordPress .org. Otherwise, WordPress has the right to post anything on your site (this doesn't happen often, but it's still there).
5 Reasons to Choose WordPress: Clear Choice
For the many reasons listed above, it's better to go with WordPress. org over WordPress .com. If you want to check out WordPress .com first, you can go ahead and set that site up. You can always make a change at a later time, so keep this in mind (though moving a site can be hard). As far as a host goes, we always recommend GoDaddy, HostGator, A Small Orange, and other hosting companies on this site – not because we get kickbacks, but because we truly believe in what these companies do.
If you do set up WordPress .org and you need some help with it, feel free to ask us. We're here to help you answer any questions that you may have! Building a new blog can be fun and great, just make sure that you have complete and total control over it!
Comprehensive WordPress SaaS from Automatic
Key Selling Points
- WordPress in the Cloud
- Handed the WordPress trademark to the WordPress Foundation in 2010
Founder and CEO: Matt Mullenweg
Services Offered: Official Hosting WP.com
What for Customers?
- Security: Complete peace of mind
- The company allowed installation of third-party plugins and templates.