The Best 5 Online Backup Providers
Today's era is an era of uncertainty. With increasing uncertainty, and the rapid digitization taking place, the individual and not just the corporate are going digital. Loads of critical information is regularly fed into the computers but who knows next moment the hard drive crashes or suddenly an earthquake hits the area. Here is where the role of online backup provider ropes in.
What is the last time when you clicked a picture with the camera with a roll? When is the last time you listened to your favorite music from a cassette in a tape recorder? The times have changed and so have we. Our mobile phones, desktops and laptops have changed the rules of the game.
At individual level, these devices are brimming with our personal information ranging from digital pictures, downloaded music, our favorite movie collection and what not!
At the corporate level, companies today operate in multiple units across multiple locations and the business processes and flows have purely become digital. A lot of information critical to the business is simply stored in the office desktops
Thus, creating a back up for our important information becomes important. If the information is manageable, it can be done in a local hard disk but what if a natural disaster occurs and one loses both the device and the hard disk ?
Online service providers are a clear answer to the above asked questions. They create an online copy of our information stored at servers at multiple sites. Thus, the whole information is risked from location contingencies and can be accessed from any other computer over the world with a simple Internet connection!
- Eliminate the need to maintain bulk CD's and other storage devices
- Quick Online Backups after short durations
- Boon for employees with work from home options
- Risks of corruption on online storage is less when compared to easy wearing out of CD's
- Information can be retained for long time
The major players operating under this category are
- Unlimited : $12.95 per month
- 75 GB: $ 8.95 per month
- 250 GB : $ 12.95 per month
- User Friendly
- Home 75GB plan : $4.49 /month for 2 years (total $107.71)
- Premium 250GB plan : $4.95 /month for 2 years (total $118.85)
- Unlimited Plan : $6.95 /month for 2 years (total $166.85)
- Synchronize multiple devices
- Mobile Access
- 75 GB : $4.49 /month
- 250 GB : $6.95 /month
- Unlimited plan : $ 9.95 /month
- 30 Days Money-Back Guarantee
- choice of storage options at very affordable prices.
- 75GB, 250GB and Unlimited storage plans are all available
- 75 GB :$ 4.95 per month
- 250 GB : $ 5.95 per month
- Unlimited : $ 6.95 per month
- Anytime Money Back Guarantee
- $5 /month per computer
- $3.96 for a two year plan
- $50 for unlimited storage annual plan
- No file size limits
How to choose
Assess your needs
- Amount of storage space required: The plans and their prices vary on the plan depending upon the amount of storage space required. Certain providers even provide unlimited space with a discounted monthly or annual subscription.
- Mandatory and optional features: One must carefully evaluate the must-have features as per his individual requirements or the requirements of the company. Certain features come for free and others are priced at a premium.
Security and Reliability
- The provider should be reliable n careful handling of your critical data and should have good security encryption mechanisms for the safe transfer of your data.
- Choose a provider which provides easy to understand user interface and tools.
- Stuck somewhere and do not know how to proceed further? A company representative should be accessible to you at every hour and location to guide you on the phone or over the web.
- Virtualization : Providing a virtualized instance of the server from offsite backup
- Application Online Backups: Integration with VM Ware, Hyper – V, Share Point etc.
- Online Backups to be aware of the hypervisor environment
- Upgrading technologies to accommodate the adoption of cloud platforms
- Imaging today is only at the level of back up appliance. Needs to be upgraded to online only backup solutions.
- Data can be hacked if the security systems of the providers have loop holes.
- Any error in synchronization may create confusion about the multiple versions of the file
- Access becomes difficult if the internet connect is slow or not there at all in emergency.