With the advent of 4G and 5G, IOTs no longer need to rely on costly, traditional, and power hungry 2G or 3G communications. The 4G consumes less energy with low deployment cost and can reach the building and a large number of units.
Technology Components: M2M Communication
LTE CAT-M1, Cat NB1 unit
TE Cat is an LPWA (low-power wide-area) air interface that allows connecting IoT and machine-to-machine devices (M2M). It enables longer battery lifecycles with low power consumption and greater in‑building range. Furthermore supports voice functionality, full mobility, humidity detection, SOS, and more.
IOT's (Internet of Things) equipped with sensors and RFID tags communicate their status by measuring certain environmental parameters.
RFID tag is a radio transmitter with little antenna that responds and communicates essential information to special readers through Radio Frequency (RF) channels). When a passive RFID tag comes in the vicinity of an RF reader and tickled, the tag responds by broadcasting a fixed identifying code. An RFID tag has battery and storage to store and communicate the information. Every communication between RFID and RF reader generates a log entry.
SCADA and remote monitoring
It helps to remotely manage and control data from equipment.
SIM-based machine to machine (M2M) communication
The Indian government is planning a 13-digit number from July 01, 2018 for M2M communication and have informed TSPs (Telecom service providers) operators, including state-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL). This number would be for controlling various devices including a surveillance camera, car, and child-tracking devices and smart electric meters using the internet.
WiFi or Cellular communications
A software programmed to help a network device interpret data and make decisions and automated actions.
M2M standards in IoT Settings
- OMA DM (Open Mobile Alliance Device Management), a device management protocol
- OMA LightweightM2M, a device management protocol
- MQTT, a messaging protocol
- TR-069 (Technical Report 069), an application layer protocol
- Google Thread, a wireless mesh protocol
- AllJoyn, an open source software framework
- HyperCat a data discovery protocol
- OneM2M, a communications protocol
Utility: IOTs M2M Communication
- Automotive: Enables to disable or shut off the car remotely. Cars carrying RFID transponder identify themselves on automated toll booths.
- Robotics: Refrigerator in houses and robots in factory continually broadcast heartbeat which represents their normal functioning.
- Logistics or Fleet Management: Container shift with RFID tags conveys their locations.
- Warehouse management and supply chain management: Similarly, in warehouses and large retail stores, the goods containing tag transmit their position. Analyze growth strategies such as product launches and developments, acquisitions, market position such as ranking and core competencies and opportunities in the market for stakeholders by identifying high-growth segments.
- Product restocking: A vending machine messages the distributor's network, or machine, when a particular item is running low to send a refill.
- Billing: Send a bill to customers using smart meters
- Engineering, Manufacturing & Industrial Settings: Detect worksite factors, such as pressure, temperature, equipment status and more.
- Telemedicine: Real-time monitoring of patients' vital statistics, dispensing medicine when required, or tracking healthcare assets.
- Smart homes: With gas, electricity or water meter communicating information it records such as consumption level. The use smartphones and other connected consumer electronics products such as smart TVs and smart lighting solutions.
- Other areas: Security, Remote monitoring, Utilities, Traffic Control