To enable logging on a WWW or FTP site
- Select a WWW or FTP site, then click the Properties button on the Toolbar.
- On the Web Site or FTP Site property sheet, select the Enable Logging
- In the Active log format list, select a format.
- By default, the Enable Logging check box is selected and the format is W3C Extended Log File Format.The following extended properties are enabled: Time, Client IP Address, Method, and URI Stem.
- Click OK.
To save a log file
- Make sure logging is enabled.
- Select a WWW or FTP site, and then click the Properties button on the Toolbar.
- On the Web Site or FTP Site property sheet, click Properties. The Logging Properties dialog box appears.
- Under Log file directory, type the directory in which log files should be saved, accept the default if offered, or click Browse and locate the directory.
- Click Apply.
- A file name is displayed beneath the box showing the directory.
- Click OK until you have closed all dialog boxes.
Before you can create a report on a log file, you must first import the file into the database.
To import a log file
- Click the Start button, point to Programs, Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack, Microsoft Site Server Express 2.0, and then select Usage Import.
- From the New Import panel of the Usage Import screen, use the Browse button to choose the log file, or specify its full path in the Log Location text box on the main Import module panel.
- Click the Start Import button to begin importing the log file.
When the import module has finished importing the log file, it will display a message that includes the total time required to complete the operation.
Once you have imported log files into the database, you're ready to produce analysis reports about the activity of your Internet sites.
Usage Import reconstructs actual requests and visits from users and organizations interacting with your Internet sites. The Report Writer enables you to analyze and cross-reference several properties of those requests, visits, users, and organizations. Its graphical interface provides you with a powerful and flexible tool for understanding activity on your sites.
When you start Report Writer, you are given the option to choose an analysis from a catalog of standard reports, create your own from scratch, or select a report you have previously created. The Report Writer catalog contains more than 20 standard reports, grouped as detail reports and summary reports.