Before answering this question, and how you can make your domain safe, first of all I think you must understand…”What is domain hacking”..So, have a look.
Domain name means website name or identity of your site or internet like yahoo, gmail, rediffmail etc. When we create our mail id it is made up of two names, one is username and next is your domain name, on which you have created your mail id. For eg.sonakshigupta@yahoo[dot]com is the e-mail address which comprises username- sonakshigupta and domain name- yahoo. We have seen the names of website like yahoo, Google, hotmail etc., all are the names of site or you can say URL (Uniform resource locator) of site, we can also say that these are the domain name.
Domain hacking states the hacking of the contents of your website or domain by hackers, leading to misuse of the site by unknown, which create several problems for the owner of the website like leakage of confidential information which affect the efficiency of your business.
According to Wikipedia Domain hacking is defined as
A domain hack is an unconventional domain name that combines domain levels, especially the top-level domain (TLD), to spell out the full “name” or title of the domain. In this context, the word hack denotes a clever trick (as in programming), not an exploit or break-in (as in security).
Now to answer the question given above, you also understand that your domain name is not 100% safe but by adopting several ways, we might make our domain or website 80% safe from hackers.
- First way is that never click on a link or open an attachment, which generally comes in your e-mail and asking you to click on it to win prize, gold, silver or any other attractive thing. These links or attachments are usually malware or phishing emails containing matter which is having spelling mistakes and grammatical errors and thus are easy to spot.
- If you are having multiple e-mail accounts or other social networking accounts like on Facebook, twitter, linked-in, G mail, yahoo etc., always keep different passwords on different sites, so if one account’s password is being hacked, then other account data will remain safe.
- Your website contain important information such as few links, photos, videos, text etc from the point of view of both owner of the site and customers, and to protect the same, it is advisable to use anti-virus software, which can protect the data from viruses, worms, Trojan horse etc.
- If you get social media invitations (such as Facebook-friend or LinkedIn connection requests) from people you don't know, then don’t accept the request of strangers and say no to them, because these people are may be hackers or attackers.
- Never share your confidential information like your bank account no., credit card no. etc.on social media sites like Facebook, orkut, twitter, as they are meant for social purpose and they are not very safe, so think before you tweet and share any information.
- With the emerging trend of E-commerce, there are so many companies, which provide you the facility of online shopping but all are not secure so, only shop online on secure sites.
- You are advisable to ignore pop-ups, which occurs at the time of downloading and trick a user into verifying something, as they contain malicious software which contained malcode.
- To make your domain safe from hackers, you are advised to use encryption software and you should be beware of public WI-Fi. If you choose to do banking online on public WI-Fi, than very confidential information you are transferring and in this case, we advise either using encryption [software], or only using public WI-Fi for data which you're happy to be public – and that shouldn't include social network passwords.”
- To protect your domain safe and secure from the hackers, you should have more than one e-mail account like one personal account for shopping or e-mail and other for professional purpose or for your bank account. It is advisable to run more than one email account because if one account is hacked, then you’re all data will not going to hack, as you are running more than one e-mail account.
- Another way is to add DNS or domain name system service which redirect you if you attempt to access a malicious site, converts a web address into IP address as providing some security across all the devices that do not support security software.
- If your email or other account offers, then with entering your password, enter a verification code also which you receive by SMS to your phone. It prevent hacker to access your account, because he might crack your password, but not the verification code.
- Another way is to lock your phone and tablet devices, which ultimately provide you protection.
- Last thing by which you can safe is to remember you're human after all. Human error is still the major reason for being hacked.